WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
The 3 Main Benefits of Self Adjustments
- Gain a sense of awareness of where we are in space (proprioception)
- Develop muscular strength
- Gain access to increase range of motion
With better proprioception (body awareness), we have a better chance of activating our targeted muscles. In the example of Side Angle from the video, the act of pressing into the bicep provides feedback into the brain and body to activate the abductors. We can understand the sensation of this activation so much more. This feedback shows us how to come back to this activation with more confidence whenever we revisit this posture in our practice. The act of that isometric contraction in the targeted muscles builds integrity and strength in the muscles and surrounding tissues. With more strength, we find an opportunity to increase more active range of motion. With better active range of motion, we in turn unleash our access to new postures. We can truly see that self adjustments provide so much more than stacking bones and joints. We are changing our experience on the mat and in our bodies as a whole.
If you want to develop more strength in your yoga practice, check out Matt’s October 2021 Immersion, titled “Strength”
If you’re ready to unleash your true potential and develop greater strength in your yoga practice, then Matt’s new Immersion Strength for the month of October is perfect for you.
In this immersion, you will gain access to:
- 12 Classes: Each class targets a specific muscle group
- Strengthen your core, back, hips, shoulders, wrists, ankles, legs, and arms
- Learn creative ways to strength train within the context of a yoga practice.
- Increase mobility by balancing your strength with oppositional muscle groups
- Joyful accountability to reach your practice goals.
~ Written and Edited by Trish Curling
#Side #Angle #Adjustment #Hip #Strength
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission.